04 October, 2026

Little people

Hello again, and without further ado, we're starting a new challenge over at the Alphabet challenge. Our theme this fortnight is "Little poeple", which means we'd like to see projects that are dedicated to children. I'm still working with Bugaboo images, and for my child-inspired card, I used this cute little troll motif. 
Before colouring my image, I tried to narrow down my colour scheme. With autumn season in full swing and Halloween around  the corner,  I figured I would find plenty of pretty papers in my stash. However, the more I looked, the more I went from green & purple spider motifs to warm tones with leafs & blooms. Since I couldn't pick one favourite paper, I decided to cut a stripe of each and combine them to create a colourful autumn background. And even though it may seem the papers come from an artsy album, their origin couldn't be more different: one actually does come from an album and one was a scrapbook page, but the others I cut from a Japanese cookbook and an envelope that came with a stationery set. Believe it or not, I've been keeping the latter since my highschool days, which is... quite some time!
Once I glued the stripes on the kraft card base, I coloured the little troll girl using colouring pencils. I then placed the image onto a piece of dark yellow cardboard, embellishing the corners with an edge punch. Placed the image on the center of the card and glued everything together. Since I felt like something was missing, I took a "Happy birthday" message from a sccrapbook page. I placed it under the image, and I think it makes a perfect birthday card for a child. 
However, because the image was already centered when I was playing around with the sentiment, I had to place the birthday greetings in the lower part of the card, whereas the upper part is empty. And now I can't help thinking how this imbalance brings all the weight of the motif to the lower part of the card, and how it would be better if I considered the sentiment before fixating the image, which would allow me to adjust both elements. Oh well... I guess I'll have to get over it, since there's nothing I can do about it now. 
Another thing that bothered me (and I could do something about it even after everything was done) is the white space around the troll motif. I went through my sticker stash and blinged the image up with some golden stars from a Christmas sheet. I like to think they look like reflections from the birthday candles, or even fireworks.   
And now that the troll girl is all finished up, all she needs is to find the party location. The card has no recipient yet, but I think it can fit any birthday, autumn season or not. I could also imagine her going to a Halloween / monster inspired celebration, because, after all, not everything must be skulls and blood on October 31st. Many kids - especially the younger ones - might prefer a mix of sweet & spooky, which gives them a chance to participate in "adult stuff" without being scared. 

challenges: 
- krafty chicks: birthday
- allsorts challengeblog: ATG with optional twist "ATG autumn"
- C.R.A.F.T.: ATG
- cardz4guyz: autumn colours
- classicdesignchallenge: ATG DT  
- crafty calendar: autumn/Halloween
- crafty catz: ATG
- crafty gals corner: ATG with optional twist "fall foliage"
- creative inspirations: hello autumn
- inkspirational: autumn/Halloween cupcakes
- kreativtanten: Halloween
- little red wagon: autumn colours
- lovethoseprettypapers: ATG patterned papers
- nachteulen: colourful autumn
- path of positivity: ATG positive
- traumfabrik: When fall is coming
- try it on tuesday: autumn's beauty

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweetie! I Love these colours and such a pretty design too. Thank you so much for sharing your 'little person' with us at Crafty Catz.
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete