26 December, 2020

Old & new

Between the old and the new year, I'd like to tidy up a bit. My apartment, my thoughts, my things. Because every now and then, it's good to re-evaluate whether everything is really necessary (hint: it isn't). 
And as I'm currently working with paper mostly, I almost forgot what's in my beading stash, but this beautiful flower claps came into my hands whilst cleaning up and I absolutely wanted to add it to a wearable piece of jewelry. By coincidence, I also found a necklace made of polymer clay beads (haven't used polymer clay in years!) which simply didn't match my style anymore. I decided to recycle the beads because I like the marble-effect. Also, they bring back memories of polymer lessons by Klavdija Kurent who would not only show us a new technique every week, but also leave us speechless with her own artistic examples. 
Anyways, I had the clasp and the beads now, but things still didn't fall into place like I imaguined.
... Until I found another set of unused beads in my stash. I believe they're part of an anthracite necklace I once purchased in a box of old jewelry. I've torn it apart but never used its pieces, but now I figured they'd create the perfect addition to what I had in mind.
I like the handmade beads and I'm happy to have given them new life, but most of all, I wanted the necklace to be build around this amazing clasp. 
Therefore, I thought I'd place it prominently on the front part of my necklace instead of hiding it behind my back. From the clasp itself, A row of polymer beads would be the main focus of the necklace, while the anthracite beads would create the rear part - visible from the front and a perfect colour-match with the other elements, but yet subtle enough to remain in the background.
Not quite like I imagined from the beginning but quite interesting in the end, and to be worn the next couple of years until I turn it into something else again.
What is old and new in your crafting corner? Do you combine used and fresh elements, or do you prefer to replace what's out of style? As a hamster, I think combinations can turn out pretty well at times, not only when it comes to crafting.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful necklace. Thanks for playing with us at Creative Moments. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing with us in our challenge over at Love To Craft Challenge Blog this month! We appreciate you joining us!
    Hugs,
    Leslie, LTCCB DT
    Love To Scrap 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super beautiful!
    So glad you have shared this with us at 613 Avenue Create.
    Please come back again!
    The best of luck with your entry.
    Stay safe and well.
    Jackie, DT member at 613 xx

    ReplyDelete