21 May, 2021

Dragons or dinosaurs

Please don't ask me what I was thinking when I picked "Dragons or dinosaurs" as the task for the current Alphabet challenge, because I honestly have no idea. 
Looking back, I thought it would be nice if I could challenge myself with a masculine dragon card. As I expected this specific theme could be a challenge to many of you, I decided to add the dinosaur-option to make it a bit easier. However, once the theme was set, I just couldn't find the proper masculine dragon digi. 
Next on my list was this fantastic TP dragon freebie - however, the whole toilet paper hoarding thing is almost forgotten by now and I couldn't wrap my head around this image either. I began to lean towards a fun project for kids featuring a cute little dragon, but it didn't really resonate with me either. 
For the record: yes, it was me who has chosen the dragon theme. And yes, I had no idea what to do. Time for an emergency exit!

In my despair I began to explore dinosaurs. Again, I began looking for digis and stuff in my stash. I found a cute scrapbook paper featuring dinosaurs, which would be a perfect match for a children's birthday card. But somehow, I didn't feel like creating a card. As I searched some more, I remembered a specific napkin I had: a pair of dinosaurs in a desert-like scenery. 
Slowly but surely, things began to fall into place: mom has saved some flower pots from the trash recently, and I have already reserved some for my plants. However, I didn't like the colours and planned to upcycle them some time in future. As I needed to come up with a dinosaur project soon, I figured I might as well use some napkin decoupage on one of the pots.
I covered the weird mud-yellow base with several layers of white acryllic paint, and cut the motifs from the napkin: a pair of dinosaurs, as well as some cacti and stones. Once I decided on where to place the cut-outs, I glued them on the pot using a mat varnish. 
Naturally, I made sure to seal the most important motif first, meaning I created a rather ughly tear in one of the dino's comb before I realized it was one of those napkins that are especially nasty to work with: super thin stuff that is ripping at every opportunity. Not to mention the wrinkles!
Nevertheless, I managed to decorate the pot without further accidents, leaving the varnish to dry overnight. Next day, I added a couple more layers to make sure the decoupage will sustain scratches and else. 
And somehow, I think my little Yucca palm fits quite well to the world of dinosaurs. 

challenges:
krafty chicks: CAS
classicdesignchallenge: ATG DT
craft-alnica: animals
crafty calendar: masculine
crafty catz: ATG with optional twist "cute as you like"
crafty sentiments: ATG
friendship challenge: wild animals
love to craft: ATG 
path of positivity: change your environment (I'm changing my micro-environment currently by adding plants to my apartment. It's not that bad yet, but I think we can talk about "more than the average number" of plants here. As I still try to present them in an orderly manner, I find myself looking for pots, swapping pots or creating "new" pots by upcycling old ones - which again is a change for the actual environment as usable things don't end up at the landfill.)

19 comments:

  1. wow - the pot is wonderful. I like the dinosaurs so much.
    Thanks for sharing at Friendship Challenge.
    Good luck and happy crafting!
    Ilse (thera)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea, love your dinosaurs and finished plant pot

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely fabulous idea - love it, love it, love it! It certainly took some fiddling for you - but a great result. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pot Cheiro Urgia. I think that the wrinkles etc add interest to the decoupage. Nature isn't perfect so having a not so perfect decoration on the pot fits in my view. Thank you for entering the Change Your Environment Challenge at Path of Positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous pot and plant looks brilliant.
    Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Annette DT / Admin / Registered Owner for https://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back again, and again, amazing project. Love it.
    Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

    Annette DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful home decor! Love your whimsical theme and enjoyed hearing your struggle to make something - this is usually the first step to kicking our creativity up a notch, right? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic home decor! Thanks for playing at CRAFT-alnica

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome. I've never decoupaged with napkins. I love this project and I loved your theme. Love Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a brilliant idea! Love this pot - it's just so clever and definitely worth the effort xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your project is a good reminder that not everything for our challenge has to be a card, and that it is good to have some more challenging themes! I actually bought the set I used just for the challenge, but I know I'll use it in the future because I didn't have anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic pot! Great project. Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Gale DT for  http://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pot. Great idea. I saw this in the DT thread (teamie) and loved it.. I ended up drawing a dinosaur cause I didn't have one. I love this fun pot and so glad you shared over at Crafty Catz, Crafty Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute project! Although the process sounds simple in theory, you sure had a tough time from the get go. Glad it all worked out in the end.
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful card with us at Krafty Chicks Challenge.
    Diane - DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a smashing project!
    We do love to see all the entries at Classic.
    Stay safe and well.
    Thank you for sharing in our challenge at Classic Design Challenge we really appreciate you joining in.

    Jackie DT



    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea, I personally love the dragon a little bit more! Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Donna DT Member for https://worldwideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hvala, ker ustvarjaš z nami v CRAFT-alnici in škoda ker nisi naredila voščilnice, saj le so tokrat v igri, tako da tvojega izdelka tokrat ne moremo upoštevato!
    Drugače pa je tvoj lonček za rože zelo lepo sposlikan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous project, I love the dragons. Thanks for joining in our May 'Masculine' challenge over at Crafty Calendar.
    Hugs
    Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, I think you came up with the best possible idea and esecuted it brilliantly! Love your commentary, I wish everyone were as honest and candid! Thank you for playing with us at Love to Craft Challenge and we hope to see you again next time!
    XOXO, Aimeslee LTCCB DT
    http://paper-paisleys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete