25 March, 2023

Zodiac

Hello and welcome to our last challenge of the alphabet wheel over at the Alphabet challenge blog. Despite the fact that the end of the alphabet comes with a couple of tricky letters, we'll finish it with a theme that should be comfortable to everybody: Zodiac. You may draw your inspiration from the zodiac (i. e. the 12 constellations of the stars), but you could also take the respective signs to create something inspired by stars, animals... I'm sure you'll come up with ways to surprise us!
I for myself thought I'd use some actual zodiac signs as I have a nice collection of embroidery patterns that feature (western) zodiac signs. I've used one of them ages ago to use it in a star-inspired card. However, I wasn't sure whether I'd have enough time for the time-consuming paper embroidery. To be on the safer side, I opted for an alternative interpretation of the challenge theme. As the season of confirmations and first communions is coming, I thought I'd use the symbol of a fish to create a simple confirmation card. I had this wonderful fish background in my stash for ages, and decided to finally use it on my card. I like how the colour scheme is kept in silver and white, meaning the final card would be gender neutral. I also like how the background paper will shimmer depending on the light conditions, making the tiny fish come to life. 
Since I absolutely wanted to show this beautiful background, I tried to keep the rest of the card rather simple. I even took a grey marbled card base to begin with, since I thought that a white card would create too much of a border. To break the geometric lines, I used zig-zag  scissors, which helped me turn the straight lines of the cardbase into a wavy edging.
I then took a couple of fish stickers from my sticker stash and placed them onto a piece of white cardboard to create the main motif. Once that was done, I took a strip of shimmering silver paper which I placed over the background paper. I wanted to show as many fish as possible, but I thought that an entire background of fish in addition to the main motif might be too much. The idea was to cover a bit of the background to create a bit of depth and diversity. To prevent the silver strip from being too boring, I blinged it up with two ribbons: For the base, I took a grey piece with tiny loops on the sides, atop of which I placed a plain white ribbon. I then added a row of tiny white pearls for additional bling and a bit of a 3D effect. 
I then looked for ways to merge my main motif into the scenery. In my stash, I found a paper with a subtle check pattern, which fits nicely as it reminds me of a fishing net. It doesn't lock the sticker fish into their white compartment, but rather creates a transition between the white square and the fish pattern in the back. 
Since the card has no recepient yet, I decided to finish it like it is. Any additional elements such as a dedication will be placed on the inside of the card, as there's enought space there for that purpose, while I feel like the outside doesn't need anything else to be complete. 

challenges:
krafty chicks: all occasions
as you like it: people or critters (Unless I have a really great "people" image or a specific request, I'll always pick critters over people. For one, I'm not very confident with colouring people, always worrying about the hair and skin. Other than that, I'm never sure about how to incorporate people in my crafting projects at all. With animals on the other hand, I feel lots of creative freedom: I use them in main motifs as well as in form of embellishments (bugs, butterflies), and I never get tired of them in general.)
C.R.A.F.T.: ATG
crafty catz: ATG
critter crazy: ATG animals
everybody art: animals/pets
fabnfunky: lots of layers
friendship challenge: ATG
use your stuff: animals

16 comments:

  1. i love the simplicity of this card. Thanks for joining AYLI challenge. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those latter letters are difficult ones but your card showcases 'Z' perfectly and very pretty in the soft silver and grey shades, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That´s a wonderful project - very elegant!
    Thanks for playing along with us at Friendship Challenge.
    Good luck and happy crafting!
    Ilse (thera)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous creation! Thanks so much for sharing at Allsorts challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elegant card with lovely layers and shimmer. Thank you so much for joining in the challenge at Allsorts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The simplicity of this design is so effective!
    Thank you so much for entering our challenge this week at CRAFT Challenge looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Hugs Sheryl CRAFT DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much thought has gone into your beautiful design. It looks wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and elegant design, the backing paper and focal image are perfect together. Thank you for playing along at Crafty Catz this week.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful card for confirmation. The background paper is really so beautiful and your design shows it off so perfectly. This chain of half pearls and your simple design with these stickers make this card really elegant, as well as those wonderful edges.
    Thank you for participating in the current challenge of Everybody Art Challenge.
    Hug Uschi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful. The gold touches are so lovely. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful art and talent with us at Word Art Wednesday. I look forward to seeing more of your amazing art work shared in our challenges. I'm so grateful for you.
    Karen L
    Word Art Wednesday
    www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just perfect for a confirmation, beautifully thought out and executed. I love everything about it. Thank you so much for joining us in our challenge at Critter Crazy Challenge this week. Good Luck and I’m looking forward to seeing you again in our next challenge.
    Faith A DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. This is wonderful card. Thanks for playing with us at Creative Moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! Thanks for sharing with us at A Place to Start!
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful creation thank you for joining in over at 613 this time. Do join in again we would love to see you there Elaine DT x

    ReplyDelete
  15. fab card, thanks for joining us an FnF :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a creative take on the alphabet challenge and it works well wit the animal/ pet challenge too. Thanks for joining us at Use Your stuff

    ReplyDelete